Best way to install a few testing pkgs on stable system

Running an etch system I nonetheless may want to install a testing
package or two.

If I use pinning, I have a clue about how to go about it, and have
seen a debian wiki page about that.

But I really could use a more general education on how to safely mix a
few testing pkgs into a stable system.

If there is a safe way in some cases I'd like to learn more about it.
(I doubt it's safe in all cases, based on my recent need to abandon
installing rubygems from testing into my etch system).

Does anyone have suggested methods or reading?

--
Gordon Pedersen         gordon@visi.com