Re: Query about Iceape, Iceweasel

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:56:45PM -0600, Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> was heard to say:

On Oct 17, 2007, at 8:08 AM, Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:48:40PM -0700, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> was
heard to say:
Nate Duehr wrote:
Perhaps you
might argue that the software should handle it perfectly, but at that
level of insanity, I certainly don't care anymore... as one user to
another -- since I'm not a developer or package maintainer

    Might I suggest since you're neither a developer or a package
maintainer to keep your insults to yourself?  Be helpful or be gone.

  Personally, I would hope that developers and package maintainers would
also keep their insults to themselves.

I didn't start the insults, please look back through the thread.  The
original poster gets more and more agitated that people aren't "testing
correctly" without fully defining his problem from the beginning.

One thing needs to be clarified here - I did not get "more and more agitated that people aren't "testing correctly"; I posted what I thought was a clarification, as, clearly, to open a single browser window, with either only one, or both, of the two URL's that I provided, would not be sufficient to reproduce the problem, and it would not have been at all clear that I had experienced the problem with multiple browser windows with multiple tabs, concurrently open. Having been left out of the original problem description, that needed clarifying.

So, I felt that I should post a message clarifying the circumstances of the occurrence of the problem.

No agitation was involved, in the posting of that clarification. If that it how it appeared, then I apologise.

There is also another thing for which I must apologise.

Whilst I believe that the responses from Nate Duehr, were unjustifiably derogatory and inappropriate, I believe, as it has been pointed out to me, that I aggravated the problem, with the comments that I made in my responses, to his responses.

As the proverb says, "two wrongs do not make a right". What I did, in my responses, was wrong, and aggravated the problem.

So, I did wrong, and, in that wrongdoing, I believe that I made the problem worse. I apologise for both of those things.

One thing, out of interest - one response that I have read, to my comments, included the statement that it was thought that bigotry means something different to my understanding of the word.

My understanding of the meaning of the word bigotry, is that it means an intolerance of opinions that are different. This is supported by my having just checked my copy of the Shorter Oxford Dictionary. Also, under the definition of the word Bigoted,is included, "intolerance toward others".

Whilst the word is increasingly abused, mostly misused to mean "racist", rather than "bigoted", the difference is significant, and interesting.

Anyway, the purpose of this message is not to go into English usage. Neither is it the purpose of this list.

The purposes of this message, are to clarify why I posted the message trying to clarify the circumstances of the software problem, and to apologise for having behaved inappropriately on the list, as I have described.

I hope that my apology is accepted, and that we can move on.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."