Problem with sound - HP Pavillion dv6500t

Hi,

I recently installed Debian 4.0 on a HP Pavillion dv6500t laptop. The problem is that the mute button turns on at some point during the boot (it is not on when the booting starts) and remains so. Pressing the key does not turn it off. As a result I get no sound even after using alsa mixer to set the  volume to the maximum. I think the mute key stroke is detected. But it does not cause any change. I printed dmesg to see the operations that are being done about the same time as when the mute turns on. All I found was that Bluetooth, Wifi, and the Synaptics touch pad are turned on just before this happens. I have looked on google but could not find a solution. Hoping to find it here :)

Raghunandan H K