Re: OT: camera for small work

On Oct 17, 2007, at 6:01 AM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 02:48:12AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
I think many webcams can be viewed in this way, having a display of what
you are looking at.
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~reynolds/quickcam/

Do web cams have the fine resolution and can they be mounted on a
tripod? The tools (e.g. chisels) I'll be using are about 0.75 mm wide.
The work field will be about 3 cm square, and I'll want to see it full
screen (21" drafting CRT 1600 x 1200).

Many webcams can be mounted on a tripod. But make sure you get a USB camera, not a network one. The delay on the network cameras will drive you batty. I've installed them and even focusing is a challenge, when the video is several seconds behind reality.

Many digital cameras have an analog video output. This might be acceptable if you have a big screen TV. The resolution will only be about 640x480, but that might be adequate if you can zoom in close enough.