Re: Can't upgrade to xserver-xorg, help!

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:42:52PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 12:09:46 +0300, Emre Sevinc wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I have tried:
> >
> > # dpkg --purge nvidia-glx
> > (Reading database ... 128204 files and directories currently installed.)
> > Removing nvidia-glx ...
> > dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting `/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2' with
> >   different file `/usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa', not allowed
> > dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx (--purge):
> >  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  nvidia-glx
> >
> > How can I get rid of nvidia-glx package?
>
> You can try
>
> dpkg --force-overwrite-diverted --purge nvidia-glx
>
> but I am almost sure that it will not help in this situation.
> (Actually, I think that even --force-all will not make a difference.)
>
> What output do you get for
>
> dpkg-divert --list nvidia*
>
> > I hope once I get past this point I can continue with installing a new
> > kernel and xserver-xorg as Andrew Sackville-West suggested, right?

note please, that I'm encouraging you to actually get your whole
system upgraded, not just installing xorg.

> Probably, but there might be some other problems still waiting for you,
> for example related to the transition to udev.

I think he's past that already. Wasn't that kernel 2.6.8? he's up to
2.6.11 already.

Emre, you may just be better served to reinstall at this point. Its
likely to just be easier. Your system can certainly be recovered, but
it may not be worth the effort for anything other than a learning
experience.