Re: Can't upgrade to xserver-xorg, help!

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 12:09:46 +0300, Emre Sevinc wrote:

[...]

> I have tried:
>
> # dpkg --purge nvidia-glx
> (Reading database ... 128204 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing nvidia-glx ...
> dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting `/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2' with
>   different file `/usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa', not allowed
> dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx (--purge):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
>  nvidia-glx
>
> How can I get rid of nvidia-glx package?

You can try

dpkg --force-overwrite-diverted --purge nvidia-glx

but I am almost sure that it will not help in this situation.
(Actually, I think that even --force-all will not make a difference.)

What output do you get for

dpkg-divert --list nvidia*

> I hope once I get past this point I can continue with installing a new
> kernel and xserver-xorg as Andrew Sackville-West suggested, right?

Probably, but there might be some other problems still waiting for you,
for example related to the transition to udev.

          Florian   |