Re: "aptitude update" Problem

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 07:01 -0500, Randy Patterson - [Tech] wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2007 21:37, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 06:09:50PM -0500, Randy Patterson - [Tech] wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > When I run this command;
> > >
> > > aptitude update
> > >
> > > I get the following output;
> > >
> > > Hit ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net lenny Release.gpg
> > > Get:1 ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net lenny/main Translation-en_US
> >
> > [snip similar]
> >
> > > Hit ftp://debian.mirrors.tds.net lenny/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
> > > E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> > > correct the problem.
> > > E: Couldn't rebuild package cache
> > >
> > > I have tried this in Kpackage as  well and get the same results. When I
> > > run the dpkp command as instructed, it seems to run and perform the
> > > update but I can run aptitude update again with the same results so the
> > > problem wasn't corrected. I'm at a loss to know how to fix this.
> >
> > Assuming that your souces list is correct (has worked before), I would
> > try a different mirror just to see.  Change the sources list and run
> > aptitude update again.
> >
> > Doug.
>
> I switched sources list back to the debian.org site and ran the command again
> with the same results.
>
> Thanks,
> Randy

Hi Randy, the last time I had a problem with aptitude it was a different
problem than yours but I found a suggestion to:

rm /var/cache/apt/*.bin

then try aptitude again and that fixed my problem. These are just caches
that will be rebuilt from scratch when not there so there does not
appear to be any harm removing them in any event.

Good luck, Bob
--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,