Re: A problem about packages dependencies

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:41:15 +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> When I try to install the package msynctool_0.22-2_i386.deb with `dpkg -i
> msynctool_0.22-2_i386.deb', Debian Etch complains that the version of libc6 is
> too low for that package.  But, when I installed that package (in another
> partition of my PC) with `apt-get install msynctool' and the following lines
> in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>  deb http://opensync.gforge.punktart.de/repo/opensync-0.21/ etch main
>  deb-src http://opensync.gforge.punktart.de/repo/opensync-0.21/ etch main
>
> , no complain was made although libc6 was the same old version.

This repository seems to have a backported version of the msynctool
package. Your msynctool_0.22-2_i386.deb file, on the other hand, is
obviously not backported for Etch. You can run

dpkg-deb -I msynctool_0.22-2_i386.deb | grep Depends

to see for yourself. (The same version of msynctool can be compiled for
different version of libc6; you cannot tell the difference from the
version string in the name of the .deb file.)

> , no complain was made although libc6 was the same old version.  Now, my
> question is:
>
>  1) why did Debian complain that time and not that other time?

See above.

>  2) how can I install that package with no complain, via `dpkg -i' or any
>     other way that allows me not to edit sources.list?

Take the backported package from the working system and install it on
the other one. You may be able to find the .deb in
/var/cache/apt/archives, or you can download it with

aptitude download msynctool

          Florian   |