Re: Query about Iceape, Iceweasel

On 10/15/07, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

> I note that the only action that I can take, when the offence occurs,
> is to twice minimise the offending browser windows that are opened by
> the application; as, as already mentioned, if I close the offending
> browser windows, it crashes the browser session, inclusing all browser
> windows open within the session, and, in Iceape, the session cannot be
> restored.

SeaMonkey aka Iceape aka Mozilla will not have session restore until
SeaMonkey 2.0 comes out, with much of the Firefox code branch
merged back in (2.0 is currently in alpha but usable (using it right now)).

I have been using the 2.0 alpha for a while now so it is hard to
remember how robust the stable version should be, but it should
definitely handle ~40 tabs. I start with almost 20 tabs open and
I average 25-35, using the same instance for several days.  When
I browse certain image boards, or start researching something I
often temporarily go over 50 tabs, and sometimes nearly 100
(usually spread over several windows).

With the 2.0 alphas going over about 40 windows is dangerous
(I have been getting some crashes with just a few tabs, but it is
alpha). The last stable build I used was good for  ~50 before
beginning to creak. Any time I have 60+ windows open, I restart
Moz as soon as I am finished researching or whatever.

I have always found Mozilla to be slightly more stable than
Firefox, but either one should now be able to handle ~40
windows. I don't really pay attention to how much ram Moz
eats, but I only have 512 (X11+Fluxbox and Amarok being
my other big apps).

I completely agree with the proposal to purge and reinstall,
and to make a new profile - it can make all the difference
in the world.

I also suggest Ad Block or Ad Block Plus and perhaps
NoScript (it is very annoying until you turn off the alerts
and teach it your main sites, then it is very good). A huge
amount of instability seems to come from ads, ad scripts
and ads that use plugins.

Also, are you using plugins other than Flash and Java?
If you are using media player plugins or in-browser pdf,
you might try it without those plugins, as they tend to
cause a lot of  trouble in my experience.

Cheers,
Kelly