Re: Query about Iceape, Iceweasel

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Mumia W.. wrote:

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 04:14:11 -0500
From: Mumia W.. <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net>
To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Query about Iceape, Iceweasel

On 10/16/2007 01:30 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
[...]
The "untitled windows" appear to open as pop-ups, although I have a setup configuration of the web browsers, to block pop-ups, which obviously does not work within the software.

The problem also appears to occur, apart from when I open links in either new tabs or new windows, when a tab within a window, automatically refreshes, such as the news and weather web pages at http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60034.shtml and http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/ . Then, I get multiple "untitled windows" opened, even if I am not doing anything, other than leaving browser windows displaying web pages, open.
[...]

When I visit those sites in Iceweasel, I don't get the behavior you describe. It looks like your Iceweasel installation is mussed. Purge iceweasel and reinstall it.

Before I go purging and reinstalling software, and trying to rebuild associations (or whatever they are named), like when I click on a link to a .pdf file and it is opened by a PDF viewer (not Adobe Acrobat - that is not installable), and then trying to again configure the reinstalled software, there is something that I should perhaps clarify, if you or someone else is trying to reproduce the problem that I encounter, and are unable to reproduce the problem.

As previously mentioned, I have the problem with both Iceweasel and Iceape.

In the browser windows, I tend to have multiple tabs open, for various purposes.

As an example, for one country, to read the news, I have a bookmark set that I use, that has 32 URL's, so that I have at least 32 tabs open in the browser window for the news for that country. As I open links for news stories, I can have tabs open, that go off the right hand edge of the screen. I have just opened an extra tab, in that particular browser window, that went to the right edge opf the screen, and that was a count of 41 tabs open in that browser window.

In the browser window that I open for this country, I have about ten tab bookmarks, and, of those, about 6 web pages automatically refresh. Due to the bodgy way that the ABC presents its news web pages, apart from five news headline web pages refreshing about every minute, each news story web page that is open, also refreshes about every minute.

At present, I have 22 Iceape browser windows open, with however many tabs in total are open, and tsome of those tabs, are subject to automatic refreshing.

My system monitor shows Memory- 38% in use by programs 55% in use by cache.

That is including me having the xterm session running PINE, that I am using. I have no other tasks open, shown in the taskbar.

In running top, for Iceape, I get
3241 bret      15   0  341m 247m  26m S  4.0 12.2 148:12.55 iceape-bin

On occasion, Iceape has taken above 95% of CPU, and that is when (but not necessarily the only occasions when) it sometimes crashes of its own accord (without me closing "untitled windows").

I have earlier today, with these browser windows and tabs open, encountered the problem with the "untitled windows".

I have also encountered the problem on occasions with 10 browser windows open, and with 14 browser windows open, thence with less memory usage, both "by programs" and "by cache".

So, perhaps, if you want to try to reproduce the problem, you may need to have more than just one instance of each of the two URL's that are included in my message shown above as having the timestamp of 0130 AM.

Oh, and, when I experience an application crash, and/or a gnome crash, I reboot the system, to try to avoid residual memory problems.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."