Re: Dual head problems in Etch k7 kernel

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 08:43:44AM -0700, Dancing Fingers wrote:
> On Oct 16, 10:40 am, Andrew Sackville-West
> <and...@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 06:15:50AM -0700, Dancing Fingers wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > > I have an dual-head ATI AGP card that I had working great on my AMD64
> > > box, except for a square mouse one side (which I could live with.  But
> > > I wanted to view Flash stuff which isn't supported in AMD64 yet so I
> > > put the card in my Athlon box.  I copied over the same xorg.conf file
> > > but all I get is 2 views of the same thing.
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > ummm... you could provide useful stuff like xorg.conf and maybe a copy
> > of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
> >

> Sorry, this is xorg.conf:

To my weak eyes, this all looks relatively okay, and I'm not familiar
with your card or the ati driver, but I see one thing that *might*
point to the problem:

> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"0 ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"
> 	Driver		"ati"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> 	Screen		0
> 	Option "DDCMode" "True"
> 	Option "MonitorLayout" "primary monitor,secondary monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"1 ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS [Radeon 9550]"
> 	Driver		"ati"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> 	Screen		1
> 	#Option "DDCMode" "True"
> 	#Option "MonitorLayout" "primary monitor,secondary monitor"
> EndSection

you've given the two outputs the same BusID (which makes sense as its
one card, right?) but...

snipped from Xorg.0.log
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
> (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "0 ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS
> [Radeon 9550]".
> (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "1 ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AS
> [Radeon 9550]".
> (WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1)
> found

seems to suggest that the other output *may* be on a different
BusID. This may be a difference between the two architectures. A look
at lspci would help. it may be that in AMD64 the card shows up as one
device and in the athlon it shows up as two.

that's my .02