Re: weird samba error

On 10/14/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 01:14:41PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > //Iomega-XXXXXX/NetHDD /mnt/storage    smbfs   noauto,password=""      0      0
> >
> > This morning, it failed.  When I try to mount /mnt/storage, I get a
> > bizarre failure where samba is trying to connect to 66.150.2.134,
> > which is vznassist.infospace.com.  If I specify the IP address
> > (192.168.1.101, via DHCP), it works.
>
> are you running local DNS? sounds to me like its trying to resolve
> //Iomega-XXXXXX to some location outside your lan.

Nope.  My configuration today should be identical to what it was a
week ago, aside from aptitude updates.  I don't see anything recent
that looks like it'd have affected samba, either (in
/var/cache/apt/archives).

Is it possible that there's bad state from some transient error that
needs to be cleared out?  I have no idea what samba caches, and where.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh