Re: How to install Adobe Acrobat Reader?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 04:33:35PM +0100, Pantor wrote:
> Mathias Brodala wrote:
> >Hi Pantor.
> >
> >Pantor, 14.10.2007 17:17:
> >>Would you be able, please, to advice how to install Adobe Acrobat Reader?
> >
> >Add the repository from debian-multimedia.org to your sources.list (mirrors
> >preferred) and install "acroread".
> >
> >But why do you need it? Why not "xpdf", "evince" or "kpdf"?

Don't top post.

> That is a good question! Because I nobody know about these.

Acroread is a propriatary program and as such it can't be included in
the base debian repository.  I'm not sure why it's not in non-free but
it probably has something to do with the licence.

I'm not sure what acroread will do that the free xpdf readers won't,
since I've never used it.  So before you assume that you need acroread,
try one of the others.

Xpdf is a generally good pdf reader although the user interface is, by
now, unique.  If you use Gnome, then use Evince (a gnome-based pdf
reader) or if you use KDE, then use Kpdf (a KDE-based pdf reader).

Of course, you can use any of them but if you don't already have the
gnome or KDE libraries installed, it will be a bigger download.

My _personal_ experience is that I like the KDE user interface better
than the Gnome one and I've had stability problems with Gnome apps.
However, I don't use either desktop environment, instead using either
icewm (on my small box) or Xfce (on my big box).

Doug.