Re: xorg: where to find this info?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 05:03:15 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The xserver isn't properly configured here so cannot start.  The
> /etc/X11/xserver/securitypolicy does not exist what do I need to read to
> find out about that?

This file is part of the xserver-xorg-core package; maybe you need to
reinstall it.

Generally you can use the "apt-file" package to find out to which
package a certain file belongs. After installing it you can run

apt-file update

to update the database. (This can take several minutes during which
there is no output indicating progress.) Then you can run

apt-file search /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

> There are several expected keysym, errors with
> numbers after them too.

I am not sure what this means; are those messages classified as warnings
(WW) or errors (EE)?

> Finally font "fixed" cannot be used.  Could be the
> last two problems are related but maybe not.

I think the font problem is what keeps X from starting; it is probably
not related to the keysym issue. I have the following xfonts packages
installed:

xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-base
xfonts-encodings
xfonts-scalable
xfonts-utils

Which ones do you have?

> I needed to dpkg-reconfigure
> x11-common earlier and got that done.  xwindows though isn't honoring my
> nice value and running at negative 1 when I chose zero when I did that
> step.  At least it's new and different problems I'm running into over here.
>  Oh the monitor is a gateway ev910 and I got an nv geforce 6500 video card.

          Florian   |