ALSA problems after kernel update

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding ALSA and the kernel. I recently updated my Debian
system's kernel from 2.6.18.4 to 2.6.22.2. When I began using my new kernel,
I noticed that anything that worked with ALSA locked up (mplayer, gnome sound,
etc). I used module-assistant to build new alsa modules (from alsa-source)
for my new kernel, and after the new package was installed, sound began
working again.

However, after rebooting, I had the same problem I did before:
everything that used alsa had problems. If I ran
"/etc/init.d/alsa reload" (or force-reload), then sound worked again.
I think the system might be trying to load the old modules at startup.
Is there a way to fix this?

Regards,
Sean