Re: digital album making choices and photo management

David Fox wrote:
> On 10/12/07, H.S. <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could some users share their photo management experiences in Debian
>> here? I have this little project at hand. The objective is to make a
>> digital album of family pictures to be given to family members on a CD.
>
> Would you be wanting to just have them view the pictures on the
> computer or would you want them to be able to "play'" the CD in a
> capable DVD player?

The second option hadn't occurred to me. But now that you mention it, I
have seen a couple of my friends make a video from their vacation pics
with music and soundtrack and such.

> If the former, then that's rather simple, just drag and drop the
> pictures into a new K3b data project and use k3b to burn the contents
> to disk.

I have done that in the past. But this time, I was thinking of making
the electronic album with the captions and such.

> If you want family members to simply pop the disk into their DVD
> player, as long as that player supports SVCD or VCD playback (most
> should) then you might want to look at the tovid project
> (tovid.sourceforge.net). I have done some stuff with this package,

Very interesting. I will look into this and see how it goes. But the
album I mentioned in my original message is not going to be a video, at
least for now.

> mostly to transfer movies over to DVDs, but there is also new work
> being done with it to make photo vcds/svcd's, which could also feature
> a musical soundtrack and autofade in and out to the other pictures in
> the "roll".

Hmm ... as I mentioned, I have seen my friends who use Windows do
something like this. At that time I wondered if we have something
similar, or more powerful, in Linux. But never got around investigating
it. I will take a look at this project.