Re: booting from DVD?

steve wrote:
ill assume you are using gnome, all I do is right click on the iso file,
then choose write to disc.  has always worked fine for me.
yup
did you burn the dvd on the pc your trying to boot from, and is the file
actually an .iso ?

yes, and looks like it - at least it mounts and the fstab lists it as udf, iso9660 (exactly the same way a bootable CD looks)
does the dvd boot on another computer?

good question - my other main machine is a PowerPC Mac, so that's no help; just tried it on the kids' Windows box - same symptom - seems to try to read the DVD, then boots from the hard drive (into Windows)

I guess I must be missing something about making the DVDs bootable

Thoughts?

Miles