booting from DVD?

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get my system to boot from a DVD, and it's not working. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong (or more likely, stupid).

The system:
- Foxconn motherboard (681 something)
- Phoenix BIOS
- E-IDE CDROM/DVD+RW drive
- boot order set to CD, HDD

If I stick in a bootable CDROM (e.g., a LiveCD) it boots just fine off the CD

But... if I stick in what I think is a bootable DVD, the BIOS appears to spend some time accessing the drive (the light goes on, flashes a bit, ...), but then continues to boot off the hard disk. I've tried this with both DVDs burned from iso images of xploraknoppix (Debian derivative live DVD) and the Opensolaris Community Edition (motivation is really to get solaris running to play with various combinations of solaris, zfs, xen, debian).

So.... I'm wondering if:
a. I have to change a setting somewhere, or,
b. there's something I'm missing about burning the DVDs so that they're bootable, or,
c. I'm missing some other step

Thanks for any help.

Miles