Re: debian kernel bugs / or is it grub?

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 12:01:01AM +0800, Richard wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > whoops. I must have missed (and snipped) that. I assume the messages
> > above are from the kernel itself?
>
> Yes, the message i quoted comes almost instantly after the grub menu
> when the kernel tries to load.

have you tried loading the kernel by hand from the

grub>

prompt?

> > Is it possible that you've got a bad initrd and that's causing the
> > problem? You could boot with a live-cd, chroot in and rebuild your
> > initrd maybe.
>
> :-) As i also wrote in my first post, i tried several ways to get other
> kernels to boot. From Ubuntu i chrooted into the fresh Debian
> installation and loaded/installed the Ubuntu kernel (with no succes), i
>  build a custom kernel from 2.6.22.6 sources without initrd (with no
> succes). All without the desired effect of me being able to boot into
> Debian again. So in my view now grub also gets suspected because this
> can't load the kernel.

yeah, I would say grub is suspect as well. You can reinstall grub from
within the chroot too, FWIW.

> I am now using Ubuntu and it looks very nice, maybe i try Debian a few
> weeks later again or so, when my mood feels like it. And then i will try
> lilo.

I was going to suggest trying lilo as well.

I find it hard to understand how ubuntu can boot when debian
can't. I'm willing to be that if you end up reinstalling debian again,
it just works. shrug.