Re: debian kernel bugs / or is it grub?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 10:15:35AM +0800, Richard van der Veen wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am not sure how to send  a bug report about this because it seems to
>> be in several different kernels from Debian. (maybe it even is not
>> kernel specific but it's grub which is doing something wrong.)
>>
>> When i replaced my ATA DVD writer with an SATA DVD writer and placed
>> another ATA harddisk on the connector, i got in my selfbuild kernel(*1
>> an OOPS. This made me decide to re-install debian. I downloaded a
>> daily-build netinstall CD from Lenny and wanted to convert that to Sid
>> - because that is my normal debian 'outfit' on the computer.  With the
>> installation everything went smoothly, but when i rebooted the
>> computer crashed/hanged on booting the kernel. The message on the
>> screen was:
>> --
>> PCI:BIOS BUG: MCFG area at f0000000 is not E820-reserved
>> PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
>> PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000@90000000 for 0000:01:00
>> ide0: I/O resource 0x3F6-0x3F6 not free.
>> ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
>> ide1: I/O resource 0x376-0x376 not free.
>> ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe
>> --
>> hang
>
> what happens if you pull that dvd drive and boot? Looks to me like
> you've got a nasty hardware conflict going on. I'd start with some
> easy swaps like pulling that drive and then move up to futzing with
> the bios.
>
> its not much, but I hth.

Well ... to me it does not seem like a conflict in my hardware because
as i said before Fedora 7, Opensuse 10.3 and Ubuntu Gutsy (BETA) seems
to work perfectly well with this hardware configuration. Only Debian has
trouble to work on it - can not even let the kernel boot. Then my
conclusion is that it is Debian related and not hardware related. But
strange because Ubuntu is for a big part also just Debian. Anyway thank
you for your response.