Re: Installation question

On 10/9/07, jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Greetings:
> I am impatient and am having a problem with my installation of
> etch. I purchased a commercially available Debian cd package
> and installed the system without a problem. But I am tying to

Well, if you have the CD's readily available, have you "fed" them to
the system via apt-cdrom add?

There are proxy settings available to apt, but I haven't needed to use
proxies and so I am clueless as how that is done. But if you have the
cd's readily available, you should be able to install anything off of
those cd's and then if you need updates you can pursue that later.

For instance, if you do an aptitude install kde it will bring in all
the kde packages, and if apt-cdrom has been run beforehand, it knows
which disk those packages are on so it will prompt you to insert the
cd's as needed - most of those packages should be on the first CD,
since they're popular.

Hope someone else can chime in about how to set up proxies in the apt
configuration.