Installation question

Greetings:
I am impatient and am having a problem with my installation of
etch. I purchased a commercially available Debian cd package
and installed the system without a problem. But I am tying to
use the Synaptic package manager and am having a problem
with it connecting to the Debian site via a proxy.  I have set the
preferences in the package manager to use a proxy. The proxy
is a Mac OSX machine running Apache. I am unclear as to how
the package manager would use that. I have the web browsers,
Epiphany and IceWeasel, using the proxy set up and they do
just fine with it. (All though, if I follow a link in the proxy home
page with Epiphany, it loops back to the document root index
and I have to use reload to get it out to the target site in the
link.)

 I want to install KDE and noticed that among the 24 cds there
is one labeled KDE install 1.
Does that mean that that cd would install the system with KDE
and not Gnome?
(I actually want both because some apps run under one or the
other and not both).
The system is going to be a desktop/workstation that I plan
on using for graphics, page layout/word processing and
MIDI/audio applications. So I would like to get past the
barrier of learning to use the package management system.

Thanks for knowledgeable guidance, advice, and suggestions.
Jeff K