Re: gnome alarm clock / egg timer?

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 02:25:23PM -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 13:56, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > * Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> [071009 12:49]:
> > > Is there some sort of simple application out there for GNOME that acts
> > > like an egg timer? You know, i enter in an amount of time, can watch it
> > > tick down, and have it make some sort of loud obnoxious sound when it's
> > > done?
> >
> > About a year ago I tried sanduhr ("sand clock"), but I didn't manage
> > to get it working right.
> >
> > I shall be watching this thread with interest; I also need a good egg
> > timer.
> >
> > RLH
> I did a cursory look around as I recall there was exactly such an applet
> available (gnome I think) several years ago. Couldn't find it anywhere.
> However from the FYI category; in the overkill subsection; there is "Gourmet"
> a complete recipe management system that I have been using for a couple of
> years that does have such a timer built in. It is available as a debian
> package & I currently have it running on Etch.
>
> I wonder why there is no KDE or gnome applet for a simple timer.

I haven't used it, but the following app (on a sid box) sounds like it fits
the criteria:

  $ apt-cache search timer
  timer-applet - timer applet - a countdown timer applet for the GNOME panel

  $ apt-cache show timer-applet
  Package: timer-applet
   Features include:
   .
    * Quickly set a time and the applet will notify you when time is up
    * Create presets for quick access to frequently-used times
    * Small and unobtrusive. Choose to either view the remaining time right in
      the panel or hide it so you don't get distracted by the countdown.
    * Add multiple Timer Applets to the panel to have multiple timers running
      simultaneously
    * User interface follows the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu