Re: mdadm, partitioned array

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 08:40:45AM -0700, michael@estone.ca wrote:
> Quoting Martin Marcher <martin@marcher.name>:
> >2007/10/9, michael@estone.ca <michael@estone.ca>:

> >Out of interested: Why are you partitioning your RAID and not using LVM?
>
> Good question.
> I guess mostly because I'm not too familiar with LVM. Although it
> looks interesting, but I deciced to not get into it that much since it
> adds another amdinistration level, and I wasn't sure if there were
> rescue utils out there. I'm sure there are now.
> Perhaps I will try it. This would solve my problem, but am still
> curious as to why I get that slowness in the first place.

Silly me, I didn't know you could partition software raid, that you had
to use LVM.

LVM is perfect.  Use mdadm to aggregate your disks then LVM to do the
partitioning.  You can resize, you can stripe, you can create new, you
can create snapshots; its great.

As for rescue, the Debian installer rescue mode works well.  I'm told
that grml will.  I have grml but haven't had to try.  I did ensure that
I could handle a failed drive (pulled the plug on one live).  It
automatically went degraded, sent me an email.  I read the man page,
removed the (failed) drive from the array, added it back as a new drive,
and watched it resync.  Since LVM is over top of the raid, it didn't
notice a thing.

Doug.