Re: mdadm, partitioned array

Quoting Martin Marcher <martin@marcher.name>:

Hi,

2007/10/9, michael@estone.ca <michael@estone.ca>:
Adding some more info:
Interesting results.
I wonder if anyone else has a partitioned raid 5 array and have normal
speed results?

I do.

Well sort of. I don't partition RAIDs but I put LVM on top of it. I
couldn't tell any difference between the logical volumes in term of
r/w speed.

That has always worked for me.

Out of interested: Why are you partitioning your RAID and not using LVM?

Good question.
I guess mostly because I'm not too familiar with LVM. Although it looks interesting, but I deciced to not get into it that much since it adds another amdinistration level, and I wasn't sure if there were rescue utils out there. I'm sure there are now. Perhaps I will try it. This would solve my problem, but am still curious as to why I get that slowness in the first place.

Cheers,
Mike