Re: "Dual Booting" linux thin client or windows

Sid Arth wrote:
Is it possible to "dual boot" into either normal windows (booting from
the harddrive) or linux which is stored on the network? Ive looked into
something called pxe a little, but that looks more like a one way thing.
Linux only and it seems you need some sorta special bios for it.

I was wondering if there is something where you could pick which OS you
want to load, and if you pick the linux one, it will  boot off a server
on my network.

Yes, it is possible, but I'm not familiar enough with how to explain it. (I kept waiting for someone else to respond to your post....)

Years ago I booted Sparc machines this way for the installation process. Some years after that I tinkered with Knoppix which has (or at least had) the capability built-in and ready-to-go. Around the same time I tried to get a school lab to work this way, but was never successful, I think because the PXE server was on a different virtual LAN and the documentation at the time was insufficient for me to figure things out before I had to give up.

But I do know it CAN work. Google is probably your friend in this case. I'd search for "debian pixie boot" or "debian thin client" or something similar.

--
Kent