Re: Cannot apt-get update

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 12:56:37PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 09/10/2007, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > > Thank you Gerard. OT, but is there a general way to check what
> > > distro/version any *nix installation is? Today I'm playing with a
> > > friend's Debian system, at home I've Ubuntu and Fedora, and tomorrow I
> > > might sit at an OpenSuse machine. I like to learn distro-ambiguous
> > > tools.

> > dmesg
> >
> > Generally, near the top when the kernel boots there's some indication
> > of what OS this is.
>
> Thanks, Doug. dmesg shows the kernel info, but not what distro (or
> version) is installed. I was hoping to find a way of discovering what
> distro is installed without rebooted the machine. I'll poke around in
> the boot log, it may be there. Thanks.

Well, I guess there won't be one place to look in all OSs to discover
which one it is.

In OpenBSD, the first line of the dmesg is
	OpenBSD (version) (kernel version)

In Debian, to know the version, you really have to look at the
/etc/apt/sources_list, since /etc/debian_version only gets changed with
each stable release; you can't tell the diff between testing and Sid.

I don't know what Ubuntu looks like.

The NetBSD and OpenBSD have a man afterboot.  Then again, its easy to
tell if you are running a Linux or a BSD.

Doug.