Re: Cannot apt-get update

On 09/10/2007, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > Thank you Gerard. OT, but is there a general way to check what
> > distro/version any *nix installation is? Today I'm playing with a
> > friend's Debian system, at home I've Ubuntu and Fedora, and tomorrow I
> > might sit at an OpenSuse machine. I like to learn distro-ambiguous
> > tools.
> >

> dmesg
>
> Generally, near the top when the kernel boots there's some indication
> of what OS this is.
>
> Doug.

Thanks, Doug. dmesg shows the kernel info, but not what distro (or
version) is installed. I was hoping to find a way of discovering what
distro is installed without rebooted the machine. I'll poke around in
the boot log, it may be there. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il