Re: rkhunter, changed files = problems?

On (08/10/07 11:58), Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le Monday 08 October 2007 10:43:06 David A., vous avez écrit :
> > starting oct. 2nd rkhunter has started to log warings about changed
> > files.
> > At first i thought "ok" it's probably because I usualy do a "aptitude
> > full-upgrade" once every day or so ...
> > Can anyone help me veirfy this as a false positive or a real problem?
> [...]
>
> Same here.
> I don't think it's a real problem, but it's anoying.
> How can we trust rkhunter during that time ?
>
> I wonder how to reinitialise its file hash database ?

I too had all those warnings after my weekly update. After poking
around some, I decided that it was a false positive, due to updating
this and that. Still, I agree that it was worrying; I'm relieved to
hear others had the same warnings.

To reinitialize rkhunter, here's how, from the man page:

       --propupd
              One of the checks rkhunter performs  is  to  compare  various
              current file properties of various commands, against those it
              has previously stored. This command option causes rkhunter to
              update  its  data file of stored values with the current val-
              ues.

              WARNING: It is the users responsibility to  ensure  that  the
              files  on  the system are genuine and from a reliable source.
              rkhunter can only report if a file has changed,  but  not  on
              what has caused the change. Hence, if a file has changed, and
              the --propupd command option  is  used,  then  rkhunter  will
              assume that the file is genuine.

HTH.

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com