Re: seeking advice on free dns

> Michael Acklin wrote:
>> I am in the process of setting up a server and this would work
>> great for me. I just registered with the site and set up my first
>> sub-domain. That worked fine but now I am at a loss.  This is my
>> situation. I set up a sub-domain named antifoo with a domain name
>> of chickenlips.com FreeDNS is pointing my dsl conncection to my ip
>> address of 43.129.16.255, which infact is my router. The server I
>> want to set up on the net is behind my router at 192.168.0.102 and
>> I want the server to be able to be accessed by the
>> antifoo.chickenlips.com address.  Does anyone know what I can do to
>> get this to work? I have a D-Link DI-624 4port/wireless router and
>> I know I will have to do something there and then set up my debian
>> server somehow.

Do a Google search on "DMZ" or "firewall demilitarized zone".

You can use a spare computer as a firewall/router; a software package
called "SmoothWall" (www.smoothwall.org) is about the most simple way
to do this; to install and configure SmoothWall takes about fifteen
minutes.  (In my experience, SmoothWall is easier to configure than is
a firmware firewall/router.)

SmoothWall has provision for three network interfaces: "red" for the
ADSL or cable modem, "green" for the LAN, and "purple" for servers
(this is the DMZ).

SmoothWall also has provision to automatically notify the dynamic DNS
provider whenever the IP address of the firewall/router changes.

RLH