Re: going from Xwindows to console

On 10/7/07, jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> wrote:
> Hello;
> I've installed Debian 4.1 and would like to know how to
> drop out of Xwindows into a console display. It seems
> to be different from distro to distro. I tried F1, F2, etc;
> command F1, F2, etc;
> alt F1, F2, etc
> shift F1, F2, etc
> control F1, F2, etc.
> So what is the magic incantation on Debian?
> Xwindows usually runs on tty7or  tty8 as I
> recall from Mandrake and Yellow Dog. And
> it is accessed via F7 or F8.

In X it is ctrl-alt-F?. On the consoles it is just alt-F?
X is on F7

> Another question, I have installed without
> the installation process contacting a mirror site.
> The machine is on local net and I have had
> another machine function as an http proxy
> but disabled the proxy function because someone
> discovered I was running a proxy for outbound
> net traffic and was using it to bounce request
> and tie up my network connection (static ips).

It should be possible to make the proxy work only
for your internal network.

> So, now if I want to install software from the
> cds, I assume I need a public net connection.
> Is that a correct assumption?

You can install software from the CDs without any
network at all.

> I can hook it up to a public ip address directly just
> for the sake of software installation, BUT I would
> rather not.
>
> Does Debian use tcpwrappers?

I don't know if it does by default, but the package is
certainly in the repo as libwrap and tcpd.

Cheers,
Kelly