Re: No sound in browser (NOT solved)

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 13:01:43 +1300, Jeff wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:43:05 +1300, Jeff wrote:

[...]

It was short lived because when i logged out and in again The browser sound stopped woking?
Then there is probably some other application blocking the sound device.
Running alsaconf temporarily unloads all sound modules and thus kills
all applications which hang on to sound devices. This would explain why
your browser could then play sound.

Since this blocking process seems to be restarted at every login, I
would guess that it is a sound daemon (esd for Gnome, artsd for KDE).
Please tell us how you login (gdm?), which DE/window manager you use
(Gnome?), which sound daemon is running, and, for that matter, which
browser we are talking about (I assume it is Mozilla/Iceape, but which
version?).

[...]

I have esound installed as well as alsaplayer-daemon. Window manager is GDM and Iceweasel 2.0.0.6-0etch1+leni browser . Wonder if esound is the culprit?

Just kill the suspicious processes one by one until iceweasel can play
sound. (You might have to restart iceweasel for each new try.)
I killed esound and that has worked logging in and out! (great) But gnome sounds have now gone (guess i can live without them)

The output of

lsof -w | egrep 'snd|dsp'

might be helpful, too.

Output= mixer_app 9441 19u CHR 116,0 15222 /dev/cont
rolC0

Thanks for the help
Jeff