Re: PCIe Video and Open source 3D drivers

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On 10/7/07, Wakko Warner <wakko@animx.eu.org> wrote:
> > Please keep me CC'd, I've not subscribed to the list yet.
>
> If a card is supported, it shouldn't matter if it is AGP or PCIe, just as
> with older cards, it does not matter if they are PCI or AGP.

I know that 2D is supported.  The question was 3D.  For some time, the R300
and newer chips were 2D only and then support for 3D was available.

> I have not really heard anything about using FireGL cards, but if they
> use the same chips as the consumer cards, I guess they should work.
>
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon is probably the best place
> to see what is supported.

I've been there, but might be out of date (I did notice the last change
date).  They list R300 and above cards as not well supported for 3D.  I don't
know if that means that it might or might not work, but the FireGL X1 seems
to be fairly well supported for what I've been doing with it (which is based
on the Radeon 9700 R300 chip).

I was looking at a V5100 or V7100 (both based on the X800 or X850 chip).
But the question remains, is the R4xx chips supported in 3D?

> AMD recently began releasing specs for ATI cards, and is working
> with Open Source devs to create good drivers for all modern ATI
> card, but it will be a while before there are results for end users.

I read this and was quite pleased to hear it.

I appreciate your response and any help you or anyone else reading can give.

 Got Gas???