PCIe Video and Open source 3D drivers

Please keep me CC'd, I've not subscribed to the list yet.

I've been thinking about upgrading one of my computers but I've had
difficulties figuring out if any PCIe video cards have open source 3D
drivers.

My current system is using an ATI FireGL X1 graphics card (R300 I think).
I'm looking for a graphics card comparible or faster that is PCIe that open
source 3D drivers are available.  I came across free3d.org but was unsure if
the drivers are already available.  I read the X800 radeons were supported.
According to some texts I've found, a FireGL V7100 has the X800 chip.

Does anyone know if this will work?  I'm using SID on this machine.

 Got Gas???