Re: No sound in browser (NOT solved)

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 09:43:05 +1300, Jeff wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Shams Fantar wrote:
Jeff wrote:
System sounds work but can not get sound to work in BBC News (real play) or sound to work in Youtube. Sound system is ALSA and Card is Realteck AC97 now running Lenny but had the same problem in Etch. Wonder if i have left something out? Any suggestions welcome.
Jeff
Try : alsaconf

Regards,

That worked.!
Many thanks Jeff

It was short lived because when i logged out and in again The browser sound stopped woking?

Then there is probably some other application blocking the sound device.
Running alsaconf temporarily unloads all sound modules and thus kills
all applications which hang on to sound devices. This would explain why
your browser could then play sound.

Since this blocking process seems to be restarted at every login, I
would guess that it is a sound daemon (esd for Gnome, artsd for KDE).
Please tell us how you login (gdm?), which DE/window manager you use
(Gnome?), which sound daemon is running, and, for that matter, which
browser we are talking about (I assume it is Mozilla/Iceape, but which
version?).

Normally the Iceape/Iceweasel startup script should check if a sound
daemon is running and should automatically use an existing daemon to
play sound. We have to figure out why this does not work for you.

If you are not running any sound daemons then it might be necessary to
load the OSS legacy support modules so that the browser can use those
devices directly. (It seems that alsaconf does not automatically load
the OSS modules anymore with some soundcards. Chris Lale has collected
some information on this on NewbieDOC[1].)

[1] http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux

I have esound installed as well as alsaplayer-daemon. Window manager is GDM and Iceweasel 2.0.0.6-0etch1+leni browser . Wonder if esound is the culprit?