Re: Xsane does not recognize scanner--Solved

Thanks to Andrew and Brad for your responses.

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 10:00 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 22:21:35 -0400
> Tom Ashley <tomashleyjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Tom,
>
> > is a USB connected Epson Perfection 1260. It worked perfectly under
> > Mandriva Linux; however, Xsane under Debian shows no devices
> > available.
>
> Before going to deep, make sure the user trying to access the scanner
> is actually a member of the scanner group.
> I recall having similar problems (scanner was recognised, but couldn't
> use it) and that it was rectified as above.

Scanner now works after taking the following steps:

        Added user "tom" to scanner group.
        Modified /etc/sane.d/epson.conf to add product and device IDs.
        Attempted to scan as user "tom"; scanner not recognized by
        Xscan.
        Successful scan as root from the command line.
        Reboot.
        Successfull scan as user "tom".

Thanks much for your help.

Tom