Re: Compiling all packages with debug information?

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 11:19:16AM +0200, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> Hi Philipp.
>
> Philipp Marek, 06.10.2007 09:36:
> > How about compiling all programs with debugging information, and strip them
> > into a "-dbginfo" package, or something likewise for "apt-get source"? Like
> > the "-dev" packages only people who think they need them would install them.
>
> Uhm, there already are such packages. They are named ${packagename}-dbg and
> contain the debugging symbols. Not every package already has such a debugging
> package but it’s getting more and more.

RMS wanted Debian to have -dbg packages for every package, but because of
the effort involved (10,000 source package x 11 architectures), only a
handful of 'more important' packages have them. You can ask the package
maintainer to create one, since you are doing it to improve Debian. And
where would Debian be without help users? I'm not sure if it is prefered
to just email the maintainer or file a 'wishlist' bug in the BTS or
both?

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|