Re: Math Package to Solve Linear Equations?

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Thomas H. George wrote:
I'm feeling stupid.  I used to have a math package which inverted
matrices to solve systems of linear equations - i.e. enter the matrix
and the y values and the program inverts the matrix and reports the x
values.  I know how to do it manually but it is laborious for large
matrices.  Perhaps Openoffice.calc/solver does this but it is not clear
to me how to enter data for solver to do this.  apt-cache search matrix
|grep inversion doesn't turn up anything.

Would someone please beat me over the head and point me to a simple
package to do this job?

Software suites:

Matlab - proprietary, comes with a good GUI, lots of routines to plot
graphs, contours etc., contains lot of sparse solvers.

Octave - Use versions > 2.9.12 for better experience. Older versions are
incompatible with newer versions. Does not have a GUI provided by the
there's also an open source version of Macsyma floating around at maxima.sourceforge.net - might do what you're looking for