Re: How to detect whether your machine is compromised?

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 09:49:37PM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

> There is an article on slashdot,
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/05/1234217&from=rss which
> says that most of the phishing sites are being run from rootkitted linux
> boxes. I dunno how accurate their analysis is (the results were not
> released), however I wonder if there is any way to establish whether a
> given machine is compromised or not.
>
> Are there any tools available that one can run on a regular basis? What
> measures can we take to ensure that we are somehow alerted if our system
> gets compromised?

There are some packages in Debian that can help.  However, remember that
they have to be run from a know good box.  A rooted box won't tell you
that its been rooted.

If the article is correct, I wonder what's up with Linux that its being
rooted.

Doug.