Re: webcam html and ftp servers: restricting access

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 03:34:57AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> [071002 00:28]:
> > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:49:35PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >> * Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> [071001 23:00]:
> > I'm not sure if motion is what you really need, but it seems like a
> > close enough fit, at the outset, that its worth more of your time to
> > investigate it.
>
> Andrew,
>
> Motion looks good; it has been a long time since I last looked at it.
> I now am printing out and reading the manual/wiki and the FAQ.
>
> To get started with motion, would I likely be OK with the Debian
> packages, which are 3.2.3 in the testing repository, or should I
> install the 3.2.8 release from SourceForge?

read the changelogs to see if they apply to your use. I'd choose .deb
over source myself, but that's my preference. There are a couple
issues that plague me that I haven't bothered to pursue yet -- the app
borks if it runs out of storage space and has to be restarted, and
sometimes I lose one of my three cameras, but a lot of those issues
may be a flaky driver and a lack of really good USB busses on the
machine. Start with the debs and move up if you need it.