Re: Where and how do I install a TTF font?

Op Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:00:50 -0500 Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 09/05/2007 02:57 PM, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > [...]
> > The 'licensing limitations' concern the fonts themselves. Many
> > fonts, including non-free, licensed ones, are allowed to be
> > embedded into pdf's. Then there are fonts that are not allowed to
> > do so, but which still can be included as a subset, i.e. only the
> > used characters are inserted, and those characters are not editable.
> > Finally, fonts exist that are not even allowed to be included as a
> > subset. It seems that the font that the OP posted was one of them.
>
> Thanks. [...] How could I find out what the licensing restrictions
> are? Ghostscript didn't say anything when I converted the file.

To begin with, a license agreement is provided when you purchase a font.
But you can always take a peek inside the font to find its vendor, and
have a look at the license info at their website.

For example, if you take konqueror and click the font that the OP
provided, i.e. Bar25if.ttf, then you'll see its vendor:

    Copyright 1998 by Elfring Soft Fonts, All rights reserved.

Here's a screenshot:

    http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~shiems@kpnplanet.nl/font.png

Here's some info about licenses at their site:

    http://www.elfring.com/license-d.php

It says, for example: "We also offer embedable distribution licenses.
These special fonts can be embedded in pdf files."
Well, these fonts are more expensive then.