Disk not listed in /dev/disk/by-uuid

I am having problems mounting one of my USB disks by
its UUID.
(snip)
Any hints, pointers, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you really mean USB disk (HD via USB) or USB sticks? I'm just curious; the USB flash memory may not have a UUID.

A possible workaround is to use 'udevinfo' to work out how to uniquely identify each device.  Using that information, you add a udev rule to add a symlink of your choice, for example, "usb_backup".