Re: package system broken by aptitude removing cupsys -- correction

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 10:39:57 -0400, Steve Newcomb wrote:

[...]

> lprng lets me set up my own filters.  The only filters I need are
> easy: pnm2ppa and a little something that prepends some postscript
> that tells my HP 4050 JetDirect to be in duplex mode.
>
> One of the simple tasks that I have never succeeded in getting Cupsys to
> do, even after many hours of fiddling, was to describe the same
> printer hardware in two ways, one simplex and one duplex.

I am not sure if I understand the problem. The CUPS frontend at
http://localhost:631 allows you to add several instances of the same
printer with different names and you can set the default options of each
instance as you wish. You don't even have to edit a single configuration
file to do this. How much simpler does it have to be?

> In my experience, trying to use Cupsys is like trying to use a
> battleship -- a battleship that doesn't work reliably -- as a commuter
> vehicle.  Nothing about it is intuitive, it's incredibly opaque and
> complex, and it's far too time-consuming to get it to work.  The fact
> that Cupsys is evidently the default printing system for Debian is, in
> my opinion, poisonous to Debian's acceptability as a desktop,
> particularly in the face of Apple OS X's well-deserved and
> fast-growing popularity.

I wonder what printing system is used by MacOS X, maybe Debian could copy
it? And who owns CUPS anyway?

          Florian   |