Re: Disk usage

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Daniel D Jones wrote:

root@etch:/# du --max-depth=1 -h
1.7G    ./var
32K     ./tmp
4.0K    ./selinux
16K     ./lost+found
16M     ./boot
852K    ./home
0       ./sys
4.0K    ./initrd
22M     ./etc
81M     ./lib
515M    ./proc
6.3G    ./root
3.3M    ./sbin
3.7M    ./bin
8.0K    ./media
8.0K    ./mnt
208K    ./dev
4.0K    ./opt
1.3G    ./usr
4.0K    ./srv
9.7G    .

root@etch:/# df -H
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3               18G    17G    68M 100% /
tmpfs                  265M      0   265M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                    11M    54k    11M   1% /dev
tmpfs                  265M      0   265M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda2              192M    22M   160M  13% /boot

Why is du telling me that I'm using 9.7G of the disk while df says I'm using
over 17G?

-H reports back by powers of 1000 while -h reports back 1024, but that still doesnt account for the ammount of difference there. Did you recently delete a lot of files? It could be that a process still has a file open that needs to be closed before reporting that space free to df.

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.