Please introduce a sane way to merge config file differences during package installation

Package: debconf
Version: 1.5.14
Severity: Wishlist

Everyone will know a message like this:

Configuration file `/etc/sysctl.conf'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
 ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
  What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
   Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
   N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
     D     : show the differences between the versions
     Z     : background this process to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** sysctl.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

What I would want is something like

M: merge files interactively

which would then call vimdiff, probably via $DIFF_EDITOR
or some other variable if something like it does already exist.

For discussion that might happen in the initial thread, look
into the debian-user archive [1]. I am CC'ing the list and
interested parties so they will see the bug, as well.

Richard

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/09/msg00101.html