Re: less, exit but left content on screen

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> I wanted to describe the control-mouse alternate screen switching
> capability because it is useful to know about and can help people
> understand what is happening at a better level of detail.  People who
> have never heard of the alternate screen buffer often believe the
> screen data is simply gone.  Being able to flip back and forth to it
> shows where it is and that it is still available.  It provides a
> better understanding of what is happening under the hood.

That's essentially why I added the feature - so I could see what actually
happened to the text on the alternate screen.  If it were something one
would use all the time, it would be worth spending time to popup a window
showing the data...

> In my experience there are three types of people with regards to this
> issue.  1) People who like the alternate screen buffer.  2) People who
> don't like the alternate screen buffer.  3) People who sometimes like
> it and sometimes don't like it.  :-) Therefore I think that for the
> people who don't like the behavior that they should simply disable
> it.  They are probably never going to like it.  But it is configurable
> in the personal environment so just configure it.

right - noting that it's not _always_ possible, it's nice to not have
the design choices hardcoded.  (and if I do change some feature, it
should be not difficult for the user to change it back ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net