Re: Virtual Machines/Emulators

Nate Bargmann wrote:
* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2007 Aug 07 18:35 -0500]:

Nate Bargmann wrote:

* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2007 Aug 07 17:29 -0500]:

However, I'd say installation is VERY HARD.

That's why we use Debian, it makes the hard tasks easy and the
impossible ones possbile.

This is not an issue with the distro, it's a defect in the
original package. There is a version for FC, which I use,
but not for FC2, the support starts with FC5.

But the original Makefile needs to be fixed.

Perhaps my original point was too subtle.

You're hanging out on the Debian User list (welcome aboard) and
describing your pain of compiling a module on another distribution
(seems a bit odd to me, but, whatever).  Might I suggest an
installation of Debian?  If you do so, then your questions and our
answers will be more useful to all.

Perhaps I was being too subtle :-)

Presumably, FC7 would only need

# yum install "qemu*"

I am not and do not wish to become a Debian User. I am, however,
a Debian Administrator. My GF felt a need to have a supported OS
on her machine, which ran Windows NT. I suggested several LiveCDs
for her to try, since she doesn't like the MicroSoft Way, particularly.
I had somewhat an uphill climb, because she had REALLY not enjoyed RHL
6.0. I convinced her to give it a try, and she liked the way Linux
has progressed.

She settled on KNOPPIX, so I suggested she use Debian, which she
finds relatively satisfactory. However, I am now in the position
of having to administer her machine. Hence my membership here.

I installed and ran the emulator, and posted the results on
the Fedora Core User list. However, as a courtesy, since I have
seen discussion here about such topics as well, I posted a copy
here, since the use of Wine, DOSEmu, etc. seems to be of some
interest among all Linux users. My opinions are my own, but I
have the numbers to back them up, for any who care to get them.

Hard disk space is cheap, so give Debian a try.  We'll be here to
assist in your transition.

Hard disc space is not cheap. I'm a laid off telecomm engineer.
If you think hard discs are cheap, how about donating one to me?

P.S. We won't take "no" for an answer!  ;-)

See above.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.