Re: Transitioning to 64bit, is it worth it, and how

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:55:46PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> >On 8/4/07, Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> >>I have a Core2 Duo on which I am running a 686 kernel (from Debian
> >>unstable).  It has 1GB of memory
> >>
> >>I am wondering two things
> >>
> >>a) What are the pros and cons in switching to 64 bit mode?
> >>        - Is it faster?
>
> I am only responding to this particular message in the thread because my
> computer is still not fully operational and this is the only way (at the
> moment) to comment on this process.

[snip many woes]

When you ran the installer, did you start from scratch?  Did you start
by removing your existing partitions?  I don't think you can reuse
a 32-bit software raid setup on 64-bit (don't know, never tried).

The only thing you can probably reuse is your /home, however, if /home
is on a raid or LVM partition, you may not be able to reuse it either.
If this is the case, at the beginning of the installer, choose a disk to
partition and tell it to ignore the partition table and start from
scratch.  If it doesn't let you do that either, restart the installer,
and go to the VC with a shell and

#dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[drive toclear] bs=512 count=1

to clear the partition table.

Doug.