Re: How to specify primary display with intel and xrandr

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 11:12:24AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 05:17:17PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> > I have been playing with xrandr to get multi monitor support working on
> > my intel i915 mobile card. I running unstable.
> >
> > It works ok, except the primary monitor gets set to the external vga
> > screen!
> >
> > How can I get the primary display to be the laptop panel and the
> > secondary display to be the external vga screen?
>
> Do you mean this?
>
> # This is for getting the video on the LCD
> xvattr -a XV_PIPE -v 1

Ahhh. So it is related to xv maybe. I'll give it a whirl. Don't have a
second screen at the moment.

> > The current default behaviour seems really stupid and I can't believe
> > that there isn't a way to do it, though google has only turned up people
> > with the same problem and no one with a solution.
>
> The default behaviour is not so stupid if you consider many people would
> need this for an external projector, TV-out, whatever.

Maybe, but it would be better to get accelrated video on both outputs.
Windows manages to do this somehow (although you tend not to be able to
drag a video between windows once it's started.)

The hassle is with different sizes of screens. Sure, you can drag the
gnome panel around so it's where you want, but if you're projecting on to
a narrower resolution than the laptop panel, the location of launchers
and other stuff in the panel gets screwed up when it gets shifted to the
external screen. Plus, during presentations, I'd rather be certain that
the primary display where random windows might appear was not the one
being projected to everyone...

Thanks for your help.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@marshwiggle.net

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a