less, exit but left content on screen

Package: less
Version: 394-4
Severity: wishlist

I remember that I used to be able to exit 'less' by command key 'x' or
something so that the content just viewed is left on screen, instead of
being cleared and restored to the screen before invoking 'less'. But I
found there is no such capability in current less (version 394). Or
is there?

I am not sure whether my memory is correct or not, but I think such
capability, leaving the just viewed content on screen, is desirable in
certain circumstances. I hope such capability be implemented/put back
into less.

Thanks

Tong

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 4.0
  APT prefers stable
  APT policy: (300, 'stable'), (50, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.17-grml
Locale: LANG=C, LC_CTYPE=C (charmap=ANSI_X3.4-1968)

Versions of packages less depends on:
ii  debianutils                 2.17         Miscellaneous utilities specific t
ii  libc6                       2.3.6.ds1-13 GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libncurses5                 5.5-5        Shared libraries for terminal hand

less recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information